Self-care for mamas is a passion of mine, because I think I forgot about it for a long time. I’m not just talking about giving up professional pedicures when my kids were born, though. I’m talking about true self-care.
I define self-care as the triad of physical, emotional and spiritual care.
Because a new lipstick is great, but if you feel terrible – if your back hurts all the time, if your soul hurts all the time – lipstick ain’t gonna fix that, mamas.
So I think it’s really important that we take good care of ourselves, especially this time of year.
We tend to be chief magic-makers in our families, and before we know it, Christmas is over and all we have to show for it is a new vacuum, a bag full of discarded wrapping paper and half of a broken candy cane.
So if we want to enjoy this season, we need to take some active steps.
That means that if your partner is just a little confused about what you might actually want for Christmas, it’s OK.
You just need to ASK for what you want.
That might feel selfish. But it’s not, I promise. In fact, he might even really appreciate it.
And … if your husband is the type who loves to surprise you, that’s OK too. But can I suggest something? It’s OK to grab yourself one or two of the things on the list below.
Just consider them preview gifts – little tools that help you take care of you during this busy season.
Let’s start with pampering, shall we?
- L’Occitan Lip Balm :: Because my lips feel like two angry cacti this time of year.
- Philosophy Fresh Cream Bubble Bath :: This smells like a cupcake, but does’t leave you smelling like a cupcake – know what I mean?
- doTerra Serenity Blend :: This essential oil blend is my favorite for soothing anxious feelings and promoting rest. (Combined with doTerra Balance, folks call it “Nature’s Xanax.”)
- L’Occitan Hand Cream :: So nourishing. Let’s just say that if you know me, you might get this set in your stocking this year.
- Kopari Coconut Melt :: Coconut oil is the ultimate dry, winter multi-tasker, but you don’t just want a jar of the stuff in your stocking. You’ll love this for all the things.
- Tata Harper Resurfacing Mask :: For when your face feels like 5 miles of bad road. Ahhh. Much better.
Eating and drinking
Because chocolate and tea fix things.
- Contigo Autoseal Travel Mug :: This little guy doesn’t spill and keeps things hot for hours. Cait and I talk about it on The Homeschool Sisters Podcast all the time.
- Numi Chocolate Earl Grey Tea :: This is a new favorite since I received some as a gift. It’s like a wam hug in a cup. Plus caffeine.
- Ritter Sport Chocolate Assortment :: True story – I buy each person in my family (including me) a small Ritter Sport Assortment for Christmas Eve as part of our “book flood” tradition.
- Equal Exchange Dark Hot Chocolate :: It’s dark chocolate, so it’s extra indulgent, and it’s dairy-free. Mix it with any milk!
- Too Peopley Mug :: Not only is it cold outside – it’s kind of peopley out there. Curl up with this mug, a blanket and a good book.
- Decaf Vanilla Almond Tea :: For my fellow anxious sisters, this tea is delicious and tastes just like the caffeinated kind. Which I also drink. Oops. #workinprogress
Curl up with something that will renew your spirit.
- The Universe Has Your Back Card Deck :: I use these as part of my morning routine. I just choose one that speaks to me. I display it on my nightstand or keep it in my bullet journal.
- Braving the Wilderness :: The latest from Brene Brown.
- Present Over Perfect :: One of my very favorite books this year.
- Love Warrior :: Glennon has joined Anne Lamott as one of my go-to voices for sanity when the world feels like too much.
- The Wisdom of Sundays :: I’ve recently started listening to Super Soul Conversations on Sundays, so I’m excited to get my hands on this new book.
- Chasing Slow :: Another favorite from this year! I’ve got to recommend this one in print-book format – the design is just gorgeous.
There is nothing wrong with buying a little sanity – especially if it works.
- Knock Nanny Door Bell Cover :: If you are an introvert who is consistently shocked when people actually come by to deliver the things you ordered online because you hate going shopping, or if you have a dog who barks and runs laps when the doorbell rings, this little guy is your new best pal. Check out all the stickers!
- Bamboo Charging Station :: This station makes my shoulders move out of my ears. Not only is my stuff organized, this helps enforce house rules about putting down electronics at certain times of day or night.
- CozyPhones Sleep Headphones :: I love my sleep headphones – paired with my Sleep Pillow app, I get the best rest! (Also, check out all the cute animal options for kiddos!)
- Wonderful, colorful pens! :: When in doubt, write it out. Color-coordinating optional.
- A new journal :: Whether you want to try bullet journaling, or if you just want a place to write down idea, lists and thoughts, there is nothing as calming to me as a new journal.
- Yoga Mat :: True story – sometimes, I feel like I just can’t do yoga. So I get out my mat and sit on it for a minute, and inevitably, I find the energy to do a class and feel 100 times better. I think a good yoga mat is basically a magic carpet.
I’m a little hygge obsessed lately. Want to know more? Listen to this episode of The Homeschool Sisters! Or read this post.
- The Little Book of Hygge :: A great hygge guide – small, concise and beautiful.
- Twinkle lights :: OK – these aren’t a great gift. But they are so hyggeligt! Just grab a string or two for the whole family 😉
- Warm mittens :: Hygge is about embracing the seasons – even winter. Warm mittens make that so much easier.
- Slippers :: When your feet are warm, your body is warmer. Plus … these are so cute!
- Woodwork candles :: We don’t have a fireplace, so I love these for their distinctive crackle!
- Cozy blanket :: Just add tea and a good book!
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays, mama!
I’m signing off for a bit to spend time with my family. See you in the new year!
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you so much for your support!