I’m so excited that it’s a brand new year!
And by “excited,” I mean tired.
But whatever. It’s not like I expected this mothering/homeschooling thing to be easy every minute … Because pretty much every minute we are with our people.
If you are an introvert like me, that feels like sort of a trick.
I love them. I adore them. But I also learned a while back that I need some solo time to recharge or else I turn into a screaming beast.
I don’t think this is exclusively an introvert thing. I suspect that a lot of us homeschooling mamas crave a break once in a while.
And we also might need a little boost to take good care of ourselves. I am a firm believer that caring for ourselves is an investment, that keeps us from crying in Target dressing rooms.
So today I wanted to share just a few ideas to help you take good care of yourself this year. Below are some resources that might help you rest, restore and recharge.
I think all three of those Rs are really important. I think when we’re getting a chance to fill ourselves up again, it benefits everyone.
OK. Let’s do this.
- Permission Granted by Melissa Camara Wilkins
- Introverted Mom by Jamie Martin
- The Crosswicks Journal series by Madeleine L’Engle
- Simple Abundance by Sarah Ban Breathnach
- Quiet by Susan Cain
- The Highly Sensitive Person by Elaine N. Aron
- Of Mess and Moxie by Jen Hatmaker
- Present Over Perfect by Shauna Niequist
- Almost Everything by Anne Lamott
- The Gifts of Imperfection by Brené Brown
- Grace for the Good Girl by Emily P. Freeman
- Mitten Strings for God by Katrina Kenison
- For The Love by Jen Hatmaker
- Daring Greatly by Brené Brown
- Pray As You Go – mobile prayer app from the Jesuit Ministries
- Sleep Pillow – white noise
- Virtual Hope Box – coping techniques, relaxation + distraction
- Plant Nanny – stay hydrated
- Headspace – meditation
- #selfcare – breathing, puzzles and more
- Me. – calm, sleep, meditate
- Calm – meditation, sleep, stress reduction
- Insight Timer – meditation
- YogaGlo – yoga and meditation
- Grateful – gratitude journal
- Pzizz – sleep
- Habitica – game-based habit tracker
- Twilight – blue light filter
- Pacifica – anxiety/depression
- (not technically an app, but for yoga, Yoga with Adriene on YouTube)
- FitFusion (streaming workouts from Jillian Michaels and others)
- book darts
- travel mug
- Pam’s meal planning course
- Mystie’s Simplified Organization e-course
- gratitude journal
- water bottle
- charging station
- vitamin organizer
It’s so important to take care of you, because you are the one who takes care of everyone.
I promise, self-care (as cliche as it sounds) is an investment, and you’ll be amazed at the returns in your home and beyond.