Last week, I wrote about feeling spongey.
I had had a very spongey weekend, to the point that I found myself telling other people how I thought they felt, and it was a little weird and obtrusive and awkward.
I felt a little like a 90s phone psychic.
I’ve never felt quite that spongey before, and it was a little upsetting, honestly.
So I wrote about it and it got better.
Still, I find myself seeing a good side of my crazy intuition this week.
Which could also be described as dumb luck.
Or 7 years of homeschooling experience.
Probably one of those last two.
I’m speaking, of course, about my February Envelope.
I took an odd approach to school planning this year. In years past, I would sit down and try to plan out most of what we needed for the year. We’ve even bought whole year curriculums in the past.
But this year as I sat down to plan, I had another idea. First, I just planned how I wanted us to get started.
Then, I thought of the times we routinely struggle in our homeschool — late November and February. And I set money aside for those months. I made two envelopes: November Slump and February Hell.
I was so relieved to have that money set aside. (See? Just call me Madame Kara, Mistress of the Stars.)
I thought some of you might be in the same situation, trying to crawl out of February Hell, so today, I wanted to share some of the new and fun resources that are helping our little family bounce back:
- We started listening to podcasts or audiobooks in the morning, while drawing in our notebooks with these squishy, perfect Prismacolor pencils.
- In fact, I invested in this homeschool handbook — so yeah — I draw too, until I use my notebook to organize a meal plan or craft a little nifty listy.
- We’ve started the book Draw Europe to cover some geography. So far, we’ve drawn Vs and a kidney bean, but we all love it.
- Speaking of drawing, we are loving Sparketh classes! They have so many great quality classes to choose from and they offer basic through advanced classes (in case you’re like me and Vs and kidney beans are about all you’ve got.)
- And, we’re studying Monet! (Not Manet. Different guy; same train station.)
- We started a cake decorating class! We also downloaded some free piping pages, which we cover with sheet protectors and then practice our letters, swirls and “snail trails” (um, yuck) using this set.
- We’ve started a new read-aloud.
- We also, after more than 2 years of reading bits here and there as part of morning time, have wrapped up D’Aulaires’ Book of Greek Myths. So we’re moving on to the Norse ones!
- We’ve also got a new Fred and new Bedtime Math in rotation.
- And finally, we’re giving Beast Academy a shot too!
Whew. I think we’re almost getting sort of back to normal.
Have you added any new homeschool winners lately?
This post contains affiliate links.